Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Beginning

    I've often had one problem when it comes to writing, and that's finishing a story. I come up with countless ideas for stories and I only write down a few. Some are horrendous and others are fantastic, that's when the motivation comes it...more like lack of it.


    I've always had purpose for the things I work on. The main purpose in my life so far was to make good grades. Writing assignments would be tied to classwork or extracurricular activities and I never wrote anything for myself until I started writing Alert. Though the name might be changed later on. (I used to call it The Front Yard.) Here's the story for how I came up with the Forates.

    I was 15 years old. I had just got back from a summer camp. I was going to confess to a boy there that I was in love with him, but he had changed since the last time I saw him and he turned me down.



    I sat in my front yard one night and I just cried. I lived in a suburb area. Not much activity at night, so I was talking to an empty colder sack. I cried and complained like the teenager I was. I was scared. Scared of going to college. I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up. (I still don't really know) I cried about how I would become a cat lady (that still might happen) and that I was alone, despite my loving friends and family all around me.

    Then I looked up for a moment and I swear to this day that there was someone watching me from the other side of the street.

    Granted it could have been a robber, neighbor or a tree but it caused me to run back inside and seek shelter under the covers. Ever since I was little I've been in the arts, singing, dancing and acting...so the creative in me started to calm myself down by telling myself it was this person's job to watch me.

Then the spark began...

Why did they have to watch me? 
He must be an alien gathering intel on the human race and he was assigned to me



If he's an alien, how stupid did I look to him as I sat there crying and confessing all my feelings?
Probably pretty stupid



What's his name?
Sky



    As my heart rate began to slow, more and more ideas came. It was like I was unlocking a gate and the gate is still flowing with ideas and excitement 5 years later. Whenever I came into a problem I thought about how my characters would have approached it and it's helped me overcome numerous problems.

I always say that I just don't have the time to finish this series and get it published, but I know deep down if I ever did finish it, a large part of my life would be gone and I don't know how to deal with it yet. So for now I'm still formally writing the first novel, spending just a little more time with my characters before I give them to the rest of the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment