Friday, November 22, 2013

Why I failed at National Novel Writing Month



Well, it's almost the end of National Novel Writing Month, 



and what do I have to show for it?


10,000 words and an outline.



Well I seriously failed at life. Here are some brief reasons of why I failed at NaNoWriMo.


#5 - School Work



Yes, I'm going to sit here and say that I had too much work. It's my third year in college and November is crunch time/every teacher decided they wanted projects turned in before Thanksgiving time, so I had portfolios and papers due.

Why it shouldn't be an excuse:
As a writer, you have a duty to the written word. If I want to showcase my ideas I shouldn't let things like school and work get in the way, if I did I'll just end up like all those people who say they should write a book but never do.


#4 - Family, Friends and Love Life


Because I am going to college away from my hometown, I don't get to see my family and friends as much as I'd like. Also my parents just moved about four states away so I've been calling and talking with them more often. Also, as a Public Relations major, networking and socials are crucial, so I've been talking and hanging out with friends and professionals all month. 

Also, I just started dating someone so my nights have been filled with this:

Why it shouldn't be an excuse:
Friends, family and relationships are going to be an intricate part of my life; they always will be. So if I'm serious about publishing a novel (which I am), I have to learn to balance my social life with my work one. Also use them as a motivational tool. 


#3 - Television and Reading

I am a story addict. I'm currently in the middle of about 10 television shows and 3 books. I love finding out about new stories and plots. Because of this I consume my time with other people's work when I should be focused on my own. 


Why it shouldn't be an excuse:
These works shouldn't be distracting me, they should be inspiring me! Influencing my work in amazing ways! Also, if I have time to binge on Netflix, I have time to binge on writing. 


#2 - "No Motivation"
I'm not writing my books for a grade right? It's not my job, it's something fun I'm doing on the side so I don't have to work on them very diligently. 


Why it shouldn't be an excuse: 
EXCUSE ME! This is your passion, YOUR story you crazy. If I don't tell my stories, who will? Also if I learn, work and grow with my writing it very well could turn into a career, so I need to get up off my butt and do something! 


#1 - I Simply Didn't Write 
The one piece of advice I have gotten from every teacher and author is: "the key to being a writer...it to write. Everyday." Even if it's something stupid as a rant about your day or something you care about. Either way, even if you think it's horrible, you have to write something or you don't have anything to work with. This is the philosophy of NaNoWriMo, to provide motivation to write at least 1600 words a day. Even if the novel turns out to be horrible, at least you wrote something. I thought about my book a lot. I figured out the whole plot line, each scene and everything...I simply didn't write it down. 



Why it shouldn't be an excuse:
Just because something isn't perfect doesn't mean you suck at writing. I am often way to hard on myself, rewriting and rewriting scenes until they are perfect. And this isn't a bad thing, it's just when you are too much of a perfectionist, you convince yourself that you "can't write this scene because it's not perfect in your head yet." I know in the future, I have to write more. That's simply the key. There's 10 years of hard work behind overnight success. 





No comments:

Post a Comment